The event is not just for Citizenship. Teachers have used I’m a Councillor in English, ICT, General Studies, Politics, Humanities…
Don’t let you students be the ones to miss out this Autumn, take part in this FREE event for European Local Democracy Week 2010, you won’t regret it!
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO ANOTHER TEACHER WHO’S THINKING ABOUT GETTING INVOLVED?
“Definitely go ahead! Have a good read of the stuff in advance, have a play around on the website and see what you can do. That’ll help you make the most of it. And it’s fun! Definitely get councillors in to visit you, the students will love it.”
Tony Lake, Head of Humanities, Poltair Community School
Council: Restormel Borough Council
Teacher Case Studies
For further Teacher Case Studies please click here
WHAT DO YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE TO DO?
Get involved, have their say and learn! The supplied teaching materials will help a class to explore local democracy. Then, on the site, they can test their knowledge on the interactive quizzes and games, read the councillor manifestos, ask questions of their representatives and have online chats with them. Once a day they will be able to vote for the councillor of their choice to keep them in the event.
WILL WE RECEIVE ANY MATERIALS?
Teachers will receive a ‘Teacher Pack’ containing 6 lesson plans, 5 information sheets on local government, quizzes and posters.
Lesson plans vary in length and for some lessons you will need to reserve your ICT suite.
WHAT DOES THE EVENT CONSIST OF?
During the event teachers and their young participants will be provided with access codes to enter the online event website.
- There are Q&A pages where youngsters can ask councillors questions throughout the event.
- Live online chat rooms are also available where young people can talk in ‘real time’ to councillors. These chat rooms must be reserved in advance. Please note you’ll also need access to your ICT suite for live chats.
- Youngsters also get the chance to vote for their favourite councillor – giving them the power!
- Quizzes are also available, along with a Library containing useful information and links.
- 13th Sept – Background materials online – Chat booking, quizzes, information sheets and links
- 20th Sept – Manifestos online – Introducing the councillors!
- 20th Sept – Moderators online – If you have any questions about the event or how it works you can go to the chat page and ask them directly.
- 4th Oct – Event begins – Students can chat to councillors, ask questions and vote.
- 15th Oct – Winner announced – end of the event!
IS ANY SUPPORT AVAILABLE BEFORE AND DURING THE EVENT?
Throughout the event a TeacherZone is available online with more resources, quiz answers and live chat booking.
On Monday 20th September our team of moderators will also be online to answer any queries you may have.
If you can’t find what you are look for, and need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact the I’m a Councillor team.